Thursday, November 29, 2012

What are your shortcomings?

We all have our shortcomings.  After all, that's what keeps us from being perfect until we enter the Kingdom of Heaven.  We can look at our shortcomings as failures and give up, or we can use them for self improvement.

I choose the latter.

I'm full of shortcomings.  So many, in fact, that if I were to ponder on all of them in one sitting, I'd think twice about choosing the latter.

A while back, I created a personal notebook and named it "A Better Me".  I categorized each and every area of my life I wanted to improve in.  Or so I thought.  I didn't realize each category would need subcategories.  I couldn't keep up with the notebook because I was working on too many areas at one time.  Rome wasn't built in a day and neither would it take a day to become "a better me".  In fact, all it did was give me just another thing to keep up with.  Funny thing is it had a "time management" category.

Can you say "One step forward, two steps back"?  "Spinning your wheels"?  That kind of thing.

I've decided to blog about it instead.  I can type faster than I write anyway.

How many days does it take to create a new good habit?  21? We will go with a month.  Since my life isn't going to be long enough to fix bad habits one month at a time, I'll work on two per month.  I still won't be perfect, but I'll be improved.

To shorten this post, I'll create a new one with my first area of improvement.  Each week of the month I'll post about my progress.

Bear with me as I strive for perfection.

What are your shortcomings?  Do you give up or do you use those as opportunities to improve yourself?

Ephesians 4:22-24

English Standard Version (ESV)
22 to put off your old self,[a] which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires, 23 and to be renewed in the spirit of your minds, 24 and to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment